Why reproductive immunology?
As little as eight years ago, I still believed that there was such a thing as “unexplained infertility”. But, as always, my clients are my biggest teachers.
I have come to believe there are six building blocks to good fertility:
1. Mental health
2. Metabolic health
3. Hormonal health
4. Environmental health
5. Physical health (i.e. regular exercise)
6. Epigenetic health
But, another factor was missing from this list: immunological health. This building block is tied up with all of the other elements, which are both influencing and being influenced by the immune system.
I had a client who had taken care of the first six elements to the best of her ability, but yet could not conceive – not even with a donor egg, which is extremely unusual. Her case forced me to think outside the box, to consider and explore areas in which I hadn’t previously worked.
I came across Dr Alan Beer’s book ‘Is your body baby friendly‘ and went to speak to a consultant I found who worked with this information. This was transformative for my client (who went on to conceive two children naturally), my wider practice, and I began a journey down a rabbit hole from which I still haven’t quite emerged!
This course is the outcome of my journey; my deep-dive into the world of the immune system and the systemic effect its function has on the body.
I believe that understanding the immune system gives us a lens with which you reconsider the whole body and its fertility journey, and the ability to treat it in a way that can change the outcome for our clients when nothing else seems to be working.
What is actually in the course?
Each module goes through a biomedical and TCM explanation of the topic, plus:
Topic 1: The immune system
- Interpreting immunological testing
- Th1 versus Th2 dominance
Topic 2: Western medical treatments for immunological imbalance
- Autoimmunity and Recurrent Miscarriage
- Western Medical testing for recurrent miscarriage
Topic 3: Pre-eclampsia
- Connection to recurrent miscarriage
Topic 4: Diet and autoimmunity
- Diet and the immune system
- The role of Glutathione
Topic 5: Thinking outside the box
- The role of fear in the treatment room
- Classic versus my adaptive Traditional Chinese Medicine approach
Topic 6: Thyroid disorders and autoimmunity
- Hashimoto’s disease
- The role of deiodinases
Topic 7: Endometriosis and reproductive immunology
- An exploration of the Aetiology of Endometriosis and Pain
- Western medication for Endometriosis
Topic 8: Adjunctive Diseases
- Chocolate cysts
- Asherman’s Syndrome
This course has been awarded CPD/CEU points from the following accreditation bodies:
- NCCAOM: 6.5 points
- Florida Board of Acupuncture: 5 points
- California Board of Acupuncture: 5 points
- AACMA: 5 points
- ATMS: 5 points
- New Zealand Acupuncture Standards Authority: 5 points